Get to know Felix
17 (semi-serious) questions for our head of operations
1. phlow is a photo sharing app, but it’s different from social media. Tell us in 3 words what makes it different and unique.
Content first, not people (that’s 4 words, but come on! It’s a hell of a good try).
2. What is something that phlow users have to deal with that phlow wants to fix?
It’s a pain in the (insert peach emoji) to cut through the noise, when it comes to finding great images. phlow uses the power of the people and not AI to identify great images.
3. How would you describe your role in phlow in just one sentence?
I’m like a circus director, I just make sure that the flaming pins juggler, the knife throwers and the lion tamers can do their work effectively by helping them deal with their priorities. I also help with providing the circus new ideas for future acts 🙂
4. What is your past experience and how is it related to your current role at phlow?
I come from the world of Market research, where I managed large scale data collection operations teams. Over the years I transitioned onto a technology related role, from managing front and back end development teams to leading and innovation practice, to being in charge of scouting and planning for new technology implementation.
5. What are the values that drive you?
I believe that hard work and commitment are above anything else. You can teach someone a lot of things, but you are either a hard working motivated individual or you aren’t, and you can’t teach that.
6. If you could appoint a superhero to do your job in phlow, which one would it be and why? Which superpowers would be required to do your job?
Why? Well, he has a kick ass name (pun intended), he has no real superpowers, he is just a normal human being but he goes over and above trying to be a superhero.
7. You are an international, distributed team with members from Venezuela, Italy, UK, Russia, Serbia, Montenegro, Austria, Germany and Portugal. What is it about your own culture that helps to make phlow so special?
Venezuelans are known to always be late. This in no way adds anything to my work or professional life, but it’s just a fun fact.
On the other hand, Venezuelans try to be easy going, relaxed, friendly and positive, with a great ability to go the extra mile. I don’t think I am all of these, but I do try to make my people proud by ticking as many of these boxes as possible.
8. Any funny stories or team arguments? 🙂
I can’t think of anything for now 🙁
9. What’s the best thing about being part of phlow?
I believe we have an incredible opportunity in our hands to make a meaningful impact in the photography space. These opportunities are rare, and when they show up you have to go all in. That’s why I’m in phlow.
10. Your top 3 favorite Podcasts/Books and why?
Masters of scale (podcast) – This is produced by Reid Hoffman, one of the co-founders of LinkedIn. The podcast is amazing and every episode is like a lesson on entrepreneurship!
The Revisionist History – This one is produced by Malcolm Gladwell, also one of my favourite authors. I’ve read almost all his books.
I don’t think I have just one favourite book, I tend to like every book I finish reading. This is a big thing since I have a long list of books that I start but never finish! I like Malcolm Gladwell’s books. The last one I read is “David and Goliath: Under dogs, misfits and the art of battling giants”. I also like Clay Shirky’s “Here Comes Everybody”, very applicable by the way to some of the things we are trying to do in phlow.
11. If you could pick a movie for everyone at phlow to see, which movie would that be and why?
Why? Because it’s StarWars, you really don’t need other reasons…
12. If you could be photographed in any style of photography of your choice, which one would you choose?
I’d probably select a backlit profile portrait, just because I don’t like being in front of the camera.
13. What object/thing that you don’t have already would you like to have?
I want a Tesla, or Landrover Defender.
I also want a photography drone 🙂
14. If you could meet ANYONE in the world, who would you choose to meet and why?
I would’ve loved to meet Anthony Bourdain, he sounds like a great guy to have a conversation with about politics while eating good street food.
15. If you could have a superpower, what would that be and why?
Control time. Because time determines everything else in life. We have a number of minutes allocated to live and every second, you have one less, which just made me realise I have 15 minutes less to live while completing the 15th question of this questionnaire!
16. What do you enjoy doing when you are not working?
Taking photos… portraits to be very specific. I also enjoy eating and going to the gym (this one is not true but I’m trying to positively reinforce this habit, at which I’m failing terribly)
17. Where do you see phlow in the next 10 years?
We have in our hands the chance to build a great big platform that sets a before and an after when it comes to rewarding users for the data they are sharing! We will be a thriving business known for putting in place a brave and fair business model!